North Alabama barber in need of heart transplant given one year to live

HUNTSVILLE, Ala. (WHNT) — A Huntsville barber with a failing heart is in a race against time after doctors gave him just one year to live without a heart transplant.

Issues with breathing, painful walking, and lack of appetite are just some of Corey Steger's difficult realities. He's leaning on faith, family and community as he fights for a longer life.

More than 30 years is how long Steger has co-owned Rocket City Barbershop in Huntsville creating lifelong relationships through fresh haircuts.

"It's rough I miss the people, the jokes, and watching football games with the fellas it's more of the social part that I miss," he explained.

The 52-year-old is facing a difficult journey ahead. Steger was diagnosed with lupus over two decades ago and doctors say the same treatments he received for lupus damaged his heart which now functions at just 15 percent.

"It's one of those things you don't believe," Steger said. "I heard it but it went out one ear and out the other it just didn't seem real, it was unbelievable I used to work out, I considered myself pretty healthy."

Steger is waiting to be placed on the list for a heart transplant. He's undergone several tests taking frequent trips to Birmingham to see doctors.

The barber's failing heart causes daily discomfort and he travels with a port, a device that helps keep his heart pumping.

David Price, a lifelong friend who's been getting haircuts from Steger for years says the health struggles he witnessed Steger experience have helped him learn to appreciate life more.

"It is tough to see him going through his situation, he's a very kind person, a caring person and he has meant a lot to me over the years," Price told News 19.

Steger's wife Nicky, their grandkids along with the rest of his family are giving him a reason to continue to fight.

"They really lighten the mood for me, they're really part of my reason for sticking around, there's been two or three times where the doctors said I should've been gone but I'm still here," Steger said.

He's grateful for the support he's received from the community and beyond.

Although he's been given a year to live, it's made him realize just how much he's meant to others.

"I'm not scared to die but the emotions take over and you think about the people you're going to miss," Steger explained. "It's pretty tough some days it's been worse than now but I didn't care if I lived or died for real but with my support from my family and friends, it makes me keep fighting."

Friends of the family will host a cookout fundraiser for Steger on June 29 at 2800 Jordan Lane in Huntsville at 1 p.m.

If you're looking to assist, a GoFundMe was created to help cover the cost of Steger's medical needs and the frequent trips to the doctor in the coming days that can be found here.

Post a Comment

0 Comments